What It's Like to be a Foster Sister



A lot of people wonder what it is like to be the sibling of a foster child. What it's like to love and let go. How you can get so close to a child, and then have to say goodbye. Trust me, it's not easy! But you know what it is? Worth it. One hundred percent.
 It all starts with waiting for a call. You've gotten everything done and all you need is a placement. This is one of the hardest parts for me. I want a baby to care for so bad, a child to help. It is not easy to wait beside the unknown. It could be days, weeks, months, you never know when they'll need you.
 But then, one day the phone will ring. You'll answer, just like you would with any other call you receive. And they'll have a placement for you. When this happens, my mom and I jump up and down, scramble everywhere to get everything ready, and literally squeal with excitement.
 Sometimes you will pick up the child, and other times they drop the child off. Either way, the first time you see the little face of your new foster sibling, everything stops. It's such a gift to be able to take them in, and give them the love they deserve. Just meeting them for the first time, it is indescribable.
 Making the child feel comfortable and welcome is the number one priority at first. Whatever they need, we provide. I can't imagine being in the place of one of those kids. No matter what the consequences are in their lives, just thinking about how scared they must be. They don't have their parents and they are being tossed around to different homes. They must feel lost, and hopeless. They don't know when they will see the faces of their mothers and fathers. They don't know where they are going or who they can trust. I cannot imagine.
 Until you see and hear about the stories of these children, you don't realize how lucky you are. How blessed you are to have parents that are able to care for you, and give you everything you need. To have parents that are trustworthy, and you feel safe around them. Never take that beautiful gift for granted.
 You never know how long your foster placement will stay with you. You don't know how it all unfolds. All you can do is give them the life they deserve while they are in your care. Bond with them, make them feel loved. Really, it's all a whirlwind of emotions for everyone involved. Especially when it is time for the child to leave your home. I have cried every time a child has left our care. There's just such a special bond I have with them. I miss and remember every placement we've ever had, and every single one of them has a special place in my heart.
 So, yeah, it's hard. But such a blessing. The feeling of helping a kid or baby in need is absolutely wonderful. It's worth every tear.
 As I speak, we are waiting for a new child to care for. And until they come, I'm here waiting anxiously. I'm ready to love. Nonetheless, I'm ready to let go.

Comments

Popular Posts