4 Tips on Going Vegan That Will Make Your Switch Easier!





As most of you know, I am vegan and have been for almost 5 years now. I get a lot of questions on how to make the switch smooth and easy, so I thought I'd share some tips that I found helpful or would've helped me when I first became vegan!

Tip 1:
My first tip is to research and get motivated before you transition into a vegan diet



 Before going vegan, I think it is important to research, watch documentaries, talk with other vegans, etc. This will help you feel motivated and prepared with all of the knowledge you need to begin. If you are excited to change the way you eat, it will then, in tun, be a positive and smooth experience. I'd recommend watching Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, Cowspiracy, and Forks Over Knives. There are lots and lots of great documentaries out there to help you learn about veganism!


Tip 2:
My second tip is to take it slow



It is very difficult to jump right into veganism, since you'll be giving up many foods you probably consume on a daily basis. Think about it - you don't just become a professional athlete. It takes practice and training, endurance and time. You make mistakes, and learn from them to become stronger and better at the sport you are playing. Going vegan is the same. Through the transition, you can start by having one meal a day without animal products in it for a week or so. Then, you can add two and three days. This will help you get used to it a lot easier than going completely cold turkey.
 I'm not saying this method will work for everyone, but you can experiment and find a way to slowly introduce your new diet into your lifestyle that is good for you and your family.
 If you have children, there are many vegan alternatives to meat and dairy products. Serving these to them instead of completely cutting out the foods from their diets can help them adjust easily. Now, these are processed, so they aren't the healthiest options, but in the future you can make your own at home with more whole and healthy ingredients.


Tip 3:
My third tip is to meal prep


                                                    Picture from: Vegan-Meal-Prep-Ideas-44502015
 Meal-prepping isn't convenient for everyone, but it is definitely something worth trying to see if it makes things easier for you. Pinterest is my favorite place to find vegan recipes of all sorts ranging from healthy sweet treats, to savory dinners. This is a great place to find recipes for meal-prepping! Most people dedicate one day of the week (Like a Sunday) to plan, shop for, and prepare the ingredients (and some parts of the meal that will stay fresh and taste good reheated), as well as snacks for the upcoming week. This way, you don't have to stress about what you're going to eat every day, three times a day. I know when I first went vegan, I had no clue what I was going to make. When you cut out foods like meat and dairy that you rely on a lot, you feel like you have nothing to build off of. Don't worry if you feel this way. It's completely normal! Trying things like meal planning + prepping are great ways to relieve those hopeless feelings and get you adjusted to the different foods you'll be eating. Once again, experiment and find what works best for you and your daily life!


Tip 4: 
My fourth & final tip is to not stress so much!



 A lot of people are worried about getting enough protein, iron, and other essential nutrients when cutting out animal products. The truth is, if you're eating enough calories you're getting enough protein. There is protein in everything. Potatoes, bananas, green beans. They all have protein in them. Eat until you feel satisfied. There is no need to count your calories and protein intake. Your body knows what it needs. To make you feel better, I am a very active 14 year old and I've been vegan for, like I mentioned earlier, almost 5 years now. All of my bloodwork has been amazing! If you eat a wide variety of foods, for example, all of the colors of the rainbow, you will get the nutrients you need. Things like chia and hemp seeds are wonderful super foods to buy that are packed with nutrients, and you can throw them into anything! I love putting them in my smoothies, oatmeal, and salads. You can't expect yourself to be perfect and eat super healthy all of the time. You're going to mess up. You're human. But it will be okay. It's all part of your imperfect and beautiful journey.
 So, don't stress too much. Like all new things in life, it will take time for you to adjust to being vegan. The process is well worth it in the end. Being vegan has countless benefits for your body as well as the planet. You'll feel better, and help make the world a better place. I hope your journey goes well! You got this.

Comments

Popular Posts